Go to content

Main menu



What is a Certifying Acceptance Agent?     (haga el click aqui para espanol)

A Certifying Acceptance Agent is an individual, business or organization (college, financial institution, accounting firm, etc.) authorized by IRS to assist alien individuals and other foreign persons in obtaining ITINs (Individual Tax Identifying Number) from the IRS.

We are a Certifying Acceptance Agent based in Corpus Christi,Texas Call us at 361-884-4272 to learn more about the requirements to apply for a number.  Two major benefits of using us include not having to send your original documents to the IRS in Austin, Texas (although the IRS still requires original documents for children under the age of 18) and getting your Federal and State tax return prepared at the same time.

In most cases you do need to have your current year tax return prepared before applying for an ITIN since it needs to be submitted with the application. We offer a complete package including preparation of your federal tax return as well as the Form W7 ITIN application and Form W7 COA (document certification).


What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

What is an ITIN used for?

ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

Who needs an ITIN?

IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for an SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.

Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
Illegal Immigrant who wants to comply with the US Tax Code
Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

How do I know if I need an ITIN?

If you do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain an SSN, but you have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal income tax return, you must apply for an ITIN. By law, an alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and an SSN.

Are ITINs valid for identification?

No. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. Since ITINs are strictly for tax processing, IRS does not apply the same standards as agencies that provide genuine identity certification.

ITIN applicants are not required to apply in person, and IRS does not further validate the authenticity of identity documents. ITINs do not prove identity outside the tax system, and should not be offered or accepted as identification for non-tax purposes.

Illegal Immigrant and ITIN Numbers

Illegal immigrants are still required to file US taxes.  To do that an ITIN number is required.  If you do not file US taxes and later apply for US Citizenship you will likely not be able to demonstrate you are of "good moral character" unless you have filed the required tax returns.

Many illegal immigrants are reluctant to mail their national identification documents such as passports or driver's licenses to the IRS.  That is where we can help.  As a certified acceptance agent we can review your documents and attest they are real to the IRS eliminating the need to mail the originals to the IRS.

Call us for more details at 361-884-4272

Are ITINs valid for work purposes?

No. ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only.

Back to content | Back to main menu